How to Hang Art & Photos Like a Pro
Bought some new artwork or had a new set of family photos done and not sure where to put them? Check out these tips from Elle Decor on creating stylish arrangements:
• When hanging a single piece on a wall, the center of the picture should be about 60 inches off the ground, which places it at eye level.
• When hanging a pair of works, one above the other, treat them as one large picture (whether they’re the same or different sizes). Find the center point between them, and use the same 60-inch rule.
• For spacing between art on the same wall, “Generally, we’ll use two inches between larger pictures,” says [David Kassel, the founder of ILevel, a New York–based professional art placement and installation service]. “If they’re all smaller family photos, we might use an inch and a half between them.” That goes for the spacing above, below, and on either side of each frame.
• When arranging multiple pieces, don’t just think in terms of a grid. “What’s really becoming popular are salon installations—a group of often disparate images or frames,” clustered together, says Kassel, who notes that such installations often stretch from wall to wall and floor to ceiling. “There’s no right or wrong way to do it,” he says. “We just start in the middle and work our way out. It’s something you feel proportionally, or you can decide based on whether Aunt Rose should be next to Uncle Jim.”
Kassel says the most important tip is to have fun when hanging art, and not to worry too much about getting things perfect. “You’re not doing anything structural to your walls, and your house isn’t going to fall down if you don’t hang the pictures right,” he says. “If you hang something up and want to move it, it’s really easy to fix the problem,” with a little spackle. In fact, Kassel suggests changing displays of art every once in a while: “I think a lot of people like moving pictures around, just like they move furniture around to freshen things up.”
From Elle Decor— click here to read the full article and see more practical hanging tips.
Check out these inventive and elegant ways to arrange framed art and photos for statement-making style. Click an image below to zoom and view the gallery.
Click here to see more of our recently posted home staging and decor tips.
The Best Ways to Hang Pictures and Art in Your Home
– courtesy of Update Dallas
Tags: arranging artwork, arranging photos, art for your home, art gallery, contemporary, contemporary design,Contemporary homes, creative ideas, curb appeal,decor trends, decorating tips, decorating with color,decorating your home, Design, design ideas, design inspiration, design trends, DIY projects, Elle Decor,hanging artwork, home decor, home decor ideas, home staging, how to, inspiring home decor, interior design,luxury homes, modern design, modern homes,photography, redecorating your home, tips